As much as I have enjoyed the winter wreath that graced our door the last 5 months, the warming weather reminded me that is was time for something springier.
The problem was, there are a lot of [spring time] wreaths I’m not crazy about. So when I came across this one, I thought I’d try it out. I bought a metal wreath (at Hobby Lobby for 2 or 3 bucks), 5 sheets of scrapbook paper (at 50 cents per sheet), and 1 piece of felt (to make the flowers). We’re not talking much money here. At that cost, I figured it was worth the experiment, even if it didn’t go well.
I cut a leaf template from a piece of cardboard (a toothpaste box, if you must know) and then traced it about 60 times on to the scrapbook sheets. Then, I overlapped them all the way around with hot glue until the metal was completely covered. It looked alright, but pretty boring and flat.
The one that inspired me used scalloped scissors. I didn’t have any–neither did my neighbor–and I didn’t want to buy any, so I folded each piece in half to create some dimension. I grouped them in pairs and fanned them on top of the existing leaves.
I played around with a couple of ideas for flowers. These are made from circles cut from felt (about the size of a quarter), then cut in half and hot glued into funnel shapes. I think I need a few more on there (maybe a total of 5). One day, I’ll get to that. In the mean time, I’m pretty happy with it. The purple is nice, but I think yellow would’ve been really cute, too. Overall, worth my effort, I think!